Teeth whitening is a simple dental procedure that is used to make the teeth whiter by removing the stains from their surface. A dental whitening gel is used for this purpose and can be done at home as well. But, to obtain the best results, it is advisable to get the teeth whitening done by a dentist.
How is teeth whitening advantageous?
- The stains are removed from the surface of the teeth, making them look whiter and aesthetically pleasing.
- Teeth whitening offers long-lasting results, provided proper oral hygiene and eating habits are practiced.
- The procedure doesn't alter the structure of the teeth and just removes the stains from their surface.
- It removes the accumulated bacteria from the surface of teeth, thereby improving oral health and preventing oral diseases.
- The procedure is quick and simple.
- It has been clinically proved to be effective and safe.
- Improves a person's smile and also the self-confidence.
What are the common causes of teeth staining?
- Improper brushing techniques.
- Excessive consumption of beverages such as tea, coffee, red wine, colored foods, etc.
- Chewing tobacco and smoking.
- Sometimes, teeth which have undergone a root canal surgery may become discolored.
How is teeth whitening carried out?
The teeth whitening procedure can be completed in a single visit to the dentist's office. First, a screening process will be carried out before teeth whitening is done. A tooth with cavities can't be whitened as is, because the whitening gel may enter the cavity and infect the pulp of the tooth. Hence, the cavities have to be treated prior to the whitening process. The same applies to teeth which have been cracked or fractured as well. Sometimes, when there is a recession of gums below the gum line, teeth whitening may have different effects on the crown compared to the roots. Hence, this must also be taken care of.
The teeth are initially cleaned to remove the bacteria, debris and any food particles that are stuck between them. They are now ready for the whitening procedure. The dentist applies some whitening gel/cream on your teeth and spreads it evenly. It is made to stay on them for some time so that the stains are lifted from their surface, after which it will be removed by rinsing. The process may have to be repeated multiple times based on the severity of discoloring and the level of whitening desired.
What is teeth whitening using custom trays?
Customized plastic trays are also used for teeth whitening. The process takes two or more visits to the dentist's office. During the first visit, a screening process is carried out and a precise mold of the teeth is taken. This serves as a reference to manufacturing the custom trays. During the next visit, the trays will be checked for fit and any adjustments, if needed, will be made. A special whitening solution has to be used with the tray, which will help remove the stains. The trays will have to be worn twice a day for 30 minutes, or they can be worn overnight as well.
What is laser teeth whitening?
This process is similar to conventional teeth whitening using whitening gel. But, here, the whitening gel will be photosensitive and can be activated with the help of a laser. It is more efficient and quicker compared to normal whitening, which is why most people prefer it to get whiter teeth.